2/08/2005

What will America of the future be like?

From Scott Allen on SmirkingChimp.com:
The essential question that Americans need to ask themselves is what is more important to us as a nation: individual good or the common good. The preamble to our United States Constitution pretty well answers that question for me. "We the People of the United States, in order to form a more perfect Union, establish Justice, insure domestic Tranquility, provide for the common defense, promote the general Welfare, and secure the Blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our Posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States of America."
In order to accomplish the lofty goals set out in the preamble, one thing our nation asks citizens to do to promote the general welfare is to pay taxes...Yet President Bush seems to act like a teen with his parents' credit card. He spends a lot of money; running up huge bills, while at the same time tells Americans that they deserve their money back from the government. You just can't have it both ways. If you are going to give money away, then don't spend it on other things first.
While I am no great fan of taxes, I do know what kind of city, state and country I want to live in. I want to live in a place that can send trained firefighters or paramedics to my house within minutes of my call for help. I want to live in a place that has great schools that have the money to continue to be great. I want to live in a place where a family can get basic medical and dental insurance for themselves and their children. I want to live in a place where we can respond quickly and appropriately to humanitarian disasters such as the recent tsunami. Finally, I want to live in a place that provides a level of financial security for our retired citizens as well as those who have a disability. I am starting to wonder if America of the near future will be that kind of place.
We seem to have developed a real fascination with the privatization of our government. From turning future Social Security recipients into would be investors, to the Halliburtonizing of Iraq, to weakening our public schools by offering vouchers to parents.
I fear that we might have to change our Constitution's preamble from "promote the general welfare" to "looking out for No. 1."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

|